QR codes have become an important part of daily life. They are now mandatory in many states to use to ‘check-in’ when entering shops, restaurants and entertainment venues. Practicing using QR codes can help people to feel confident doing this quickly and easily.
Here are some quick activity ideas that digital mentors can use with people with low digital skills to help them to feel confident using QR codes. These activities can be run in person or remotely.
1. Show them how to use their camera to scan a QR code using your check-in system
If your organisation has a QR code to check in when entering the premises, use this as a teaching opportunity the next time your learners visit. Encourage them to give it a go themselves on their own device, while you are talking them through the steps. If your learners do not have a mobile device of their own, consider lending them one. Our resources on loaning devices may be of use to you.
2. Digital treasure hunt featuring QR codes
This can be done in person or over Zoom. Set up a fun treasure hunt or quiz activity using QR codes. When scanned, the codes take learners to different web pages to find the correct answer to the question. There are many websites that allow you to copy and paste a URL and it will automatically generate a QR code for your learners to practice scanning.
3. Print and post some QR codes and instructions to your learners
If you’re unable to see your learners face-to-face and they’re not confident with using video calling platforms, create a sheet of QR codes that you can print and post out to your learners. Include some easy-to-follow written tips in the pack (see ‘Handy resources’ links below). You can then call them and talk them through how to scan the QR codes over the phone.
There are a number of resources available on how to use the COVID-19 QR code check in systems that you can share with your community:
- Be Connected quick read resource on QR codes
- VIC Government tips - with translated tipsheets
- NSW government tips
- SA Government tips
- WA Government tips
- NT Government tips
- QLD Government tips
- TAS Government tips
- ACT Government tips
- Please note that check-in requirements, health advice and links listed on this page may change.
- Always work within your state or territories COVID-Safe rules when delivering digital skills programs and keep you and your learners safety as the top priority. Check out our resources on delivering your program here for some extra tips.
- It is good practice to check the privacy policies of any new apps or websites you use to ensure they comply with your own organisations policies and procedures.